Household debt seems to have started rising again after a trend of falling for several months, according to the latest statistics from money education charity Credit Action.
Average household debt, including mortgages, soared by £41 to £56,058 in February after another massive £53 surge to £56,017 in January that wiped out half of the decrease of £18 a month between February and December last year.
Credit Action takes the pulse of debt in the UK every month by analysing Bank of England figures, and also revealed:
• Average household debt (including mortgages) rose by £41 to £56,058 while average household debt (excluding mortgages) fell by £3 to £8,002
• Total personal borrowing was £1.457 trillion - up from £1.452 trillion a year earlier. This figure is almost the total of the UK’s entire economic output for 2011
• The consumer borrowing per adult was £4,235 in February, a fall of £2 from January
• Consumer credit, like overdrafts, credit card balances and personal loans, stood at £208 billion at the end of February 2012
• Daily purchases with plastic cards increased to £1.361 million during January, while £172 million of interest on personal debt was paid every day in February
• 855,000 people have been unemployed for over a year
• 318 people are declared insolvent or bankrupt every day
• £16.23 of loans are written-off daily by banks and building societies, while a home is repossessed every 15 minutes
• Filling a 50 litre tank with unleaded petrol costs £69.25
• The average amount owed per UK adult, including mortgages, was £29,671 in February, which amounts to around 123% of average earnings
Credit Action CEO Michelle Highman said: "Before January, we'd witnessed an encouraging long-term trend of falling average household debt. Unfortunately, since then it seems to have stalled. These developments show the importance of staying on top of your money."
--- ENDS ---
Notes to editors:
- Money Debt and Credit is one of the UK's fastest growing financial solution companies.
- The company was founded in 2006 on the belief that every client has the right to appropriate financial advice. Since then we've gone from strength to strength and have helped thousands of people with a variety of financial solutions.
- We offer a range of services including Financial Management Plans, IVA s, Loans, Mortgages, Full & Final Settlements, Bankruptcy, Investments and Pensions.
- Specialties: IVA s, Financial Management Plans, Loans, Mortgages, Trust Deeds, Full and Final Settlements, Bankruptcy
For more information or debt advice contact:
Money Debt and Credit
45 Clarendon Road, Watford, WD17 1SZ
Tel. 0800 16 999 46